Sunday, July 3, 2016

Multimedia does a lesson plan good.


      Creating a lesson plan for a class is a thoughtful and organized process. Teachers must
consider every student and learning style when piecing together a lesson. Master teachers are also master lesson planners. They can look at a learning goal and piece together key components that will ensure that their students meet the goal. Not all lessons need to be a reinvention of the wheel, but there are several hallmarks of well-crafted lesson plans (Tenkely, 2016). A well-crafted lesson plan can utilize a variety of methods to engage and inspire learners, but as teachers today, it is imperative to incorporate multimedia when creating lesson plans. As milk is to the body, multimedia is to a lesson plan.
 
     Working collaboratively as a class to compose this multimedia lesson plan was a unique experience. I am more comfortable working on lesson plans alone and with my own ideas, it was interesting to hear and see how we each differed in terms of how to compile a lesson plan. Looking closely at the ISTE*T Standards, I feel our lesson is most in line with standard 2c to "design and develop digital age learning experiences and assessments" (ISTE*T, 2c). Using multimedia was the premise of this assignment which guided how we tailored each component. We used several online components including Google Drive, Google Sheets and Padlet. While the lesson was very simple, students were encouraged to use technology to complete each task.

     In terms of changes, revisions and special accommodations, I feel our group was able to craft the lesson plan with just the right amount of difficulty and needed practice. I don't personally feel it would need to change to be more challenging, but if a higher level task was requested, I would include a research-based assignment. This would be a written component to correlate to the results of the cereal comparison done within the class period. Also, this lesson is helpful for students with special needs in that work is done primarily in groups and students are able to receive immediate feedback and assistance throughout the task. In the event a student is unable to use or engage in the group activities, the teacher would easily offer an option of doing the assignment with oral or visual aids. 

     The most beneficial part of this assignment was working collaboratively with my peers. By doing so, I was able to see different methods and lesson planning strategies that I can incorporate into my own process. The most challenging aspect was working on a lesson plan that was outside of my content. I felt like I could not fully contribute to ideas because I was unfamiliar with the standards and expectations of the lesson. However, it was an excellent learning experience and I enjoyed working with my peers to complete this multimedia assignment. 

References:

Didau, D. (2012). Planning a perfect lesson. Retrieved from http://www.learningspy.co.uk/training   /planning-a-perfect-lesson/

Tenkely, K. (2016). 10 steps to better lesson plans. Retrieved from http://teaching.monster.com/benefits/articles/9177-10-steps-to-better-lesson-plans

1 comment: