Friday, July 1, 2016

The Chaotic World of Pandemic 2

     Pandemic 2 is an interesting world of controlled chaos. The aim of conquering the world with sickness is a daunting task, but looking beyond the game's premise I was able to discover a variety of ways to incorporate this into the classroom environment. From basic calculations to detailed bacterial genetics, this game offers teachers and students a tool to further engage in learning and application.

     My experience with this online game and our group presentation was enlightening. I am not a gamer so initially I was not excited about playing or learning this game. Once my group selected this game, we were each tasked with attempting to play it and figure out the strategies. From the start I had a difficult time with the game and it was frustrating for me to navigate through the game. However, as I continued to interact with the game features, I quickly discovered some interesting ways I could incorporate this into my school content. 

     



     The best component of learning this game was learning how versatile it is in terms of incorporating it into the different contents. You could use this game in a Social Studies class because world government, geography and world maps is a large component of the game. With Science and Health, this game would be useful in investigating the types of diseases, the symptoms of each disease and how they can and do evolve. In terms of Math, there are basic calculations that can be practiced because of the score or points that are accumulated through the duration of the game. Finally, in regards to Language Arts, teachers could use a journal or log to track the progress of the disease and the spread of the illness. Language Arts students could also play the role of reporter and practice a way they would write an investigative story.
                                

     If you would ask me whether I would continue to play this game or use it in my classroom, I would say no. While there are definite ways it could be used for different contents, the interface and design of the game is somewhat unappealing and I believe that students would not be attracted to the game. I also would not play it on my own time because it is not a style of game I would be drawn to. In spite of that, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of learning this game and introducing it to my classmates.

1 comment: